Wednesday 17 March 2010

First Impressions of the Dell Studio 1558 Laptop

Well, after being a loyal Toshiba user for the last 7 years, I was tempted into buying a Dell when upgrade time came around this again.

Despite appalling post-order/pre-delivery customer service, having my order cancelled, then replaced, and waiting 7 weeks instead of the original 2 weeks promised by Dell when I ordered, my patience paid off today when my new Studio 1558 arrived!

My job demands that I have a fast, reliable machine, and with that in mind, when it came to configuring the machine to my specification, I ended up almost doubling the base price, which gave me the following spec:

  • Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Mobile Processor (1.73GHz, turbo up to 3.06GHz, 8MB L3 Cache)
  • Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit
  • 8 gigs 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM
  • 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
  • GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card
  • DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
  • 15.6in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) WLED with TrueLife
  • Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
  • Intel® Wireless LAN 6200 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n card
  • 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
  • Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB

First impressions are great! It feels well built, and looks the business. I’m particularly pleased with the optional back-lit keyboard, which makes life a bit easier in poorly lit conditions, and the performance monitor in the task manager shows 8 (yes 8!) processors, which I’m assuming means that each of the quad processors are dual core – I’m looking forward to see how this speeds things up when running applications like Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere!

I have already run into a couple of issues associated with moving from 32 bit to 64 bit however. I guess I should have done a bit of research up front, but anyway…

  1. Cisco VPN Client is NOT supported. If you need VPN access, you need to find an alternative method, such as NCP Secure Entry Client
  2. Adobe Flash Player – There is no support for 64 bit browsers, so you have to use 32 bit IE or 32 bit Firefox if you want to view Flash based content.
  3. Aptana, my JavaScript, CSS and jQuery weapon of choice, doesn’t yet have full 64 bit support. You can install in into Eclipse, or install the 32 bit version only.
  4. So far, I’ve had no joy with a 64 bit version of Firefox, but have got the 32 bit version installed instead.

I’m sure I’ll find a few more problems, but so far, so few. Fingers crossed that none that arise are deal breakers!

More to come as I use the 1558 more, but for now, I have to stop writing and carry on installing software, so I can use my new toy at work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment