Sunday 28 March 2010

A fresh new look from the Blogger Template Designer

Well, those of you who have been here before will probably notice new fresh new look., which is the result of me spending an hour or so experimenting with the new Blogger Template Designer, which I found over at Blogger in Draft.

It’s a very nice web application, and it’s a huge improvement on the current template tools available on Blogger, and has some very cool touches, such as theme suggestions to match background images and text colours, a live preview of your changes, and some really nice new starting point templates.
I’ve only spent a bit of time playing on it so far, but I like what it can do some much I decided to apply one of the new templates, instead of my old custom template. I'm not the greatest designer in the world, so it's great to be able to come up with something that looks fresh without having to spend hours in Photoshop and Aptana.


A couple of things to note though. Firstly, the new templates aren’t built with IE6 in mind, so users who choose to punish themselves by using IE6 may not see your page as you intended. Secondly, as far as I can see, you are limited to the background images provided by Blogger, rather than being able to add your own. I’m going to have a play with the template XML and see what I can come up with to workaround this. If I succeed, I’ll post the details.

I've also added a new template based design to my other blog, just to give it a bit of a makeover (note to self: Post on Sidetracked sometimes huh?)

Other than that, give it a whirl, see what you can come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment